Book Drive for Inmates!
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الحمد لله وحده
و الصلاة و السلام على من لا نبي بعده
In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Always All Merciful.
All Praise is for Allah Alone.
And may the peace and blessings be upon him whom there is no prophet after.
Asalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
With great pleasure, the Projects Team of the DC Area student tribe of AlMaghrib Institute, known as Qabeelat Nurayn, announces their new project – collecting books for Muslim inmates across the country. The Islamic Information Center at Dar-us-Salaam masjid in College Park, Maryland has been working on responding and sending inmates da’wah materials and books for years, and we would now like to expand their Islamic library to help our brothers and sisters in their path to gain knowledge of the Deen inshaAllah.
A few students from Qabeelat Nurayn have been helping with responding to inmate letters, and they have all noticed the same thing: our brothers and sisters are requesting material that the IIC is not able to offer. So inshaAllah, bi tawfeeqillah, this project is our way of helping.
We all love to seek knowledge, and as one of the salaf said: Knowledge is one of the pleasures of the world”, and this does not exclude the Muslims in prison. SubhanAllah, their love for Allah, His messenger alayhi salatu wa salaam, and seeking knowledge is great and can be felt through their letters. Many, if not all of them, accepted Islam in jail and want to begin a better life than their past way of life. Put yourself in their situation: asking others for books that you cannot buy yourself and you do not have access too, and then receiving a response that these books are not available. May Allah grant them sabr, Ameen. Imagine how much benefit you could bring and how much duaa they may make for you. Their daily life does not go much beyond metal bars. Like the hadeeth where the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, “The world is a prison for the believer, and paradise for the nonbeliever. (Saheeh Muslim)
How many of us have so many books, scattered throughout our rooms and on our bookshelves? How many of us have brand new books that have not even been read yet? How many of us can spend a few dollars to buy a brand new book for someone? Do we take advantage of the fact that these books are so easy accessible to us? Think about it.
You may be thinking, ‘but I love my books! how can I part with them?!’, we ask you…do you want to attain al-Birr? Allah ta’ala tells us in the translation: “By no means shall you attain Al-Birr, until you spend of that which you love.” (3:92) (Learn what Al-Birr is here)
InshaAllah we will be accepting books for a few months, new and used. We will also accept monetary donations to purchase the books as well inshaAllah.
If you would like to donate used books, please keep these two points in mind:
1) Allah ta’ala says in suratul Baqarah in the translation: “O you who believe! Spend of the good things (tayyibaat) which you have earned, and of that which We have produced from the earth for you, and do not aim at that which is bad (khabeeth) to spend from it, (though) you would not accept it save if you close your eyes and tolerate therein. And know that Allah is Rich (Free of all wants), and Worthy of all praise.” (Quran, Surah Baqarah(2):267)
2) The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, none of you truly believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself. (Saheeh Bukhari)
We ask you to NOT give a used book unless it is in good (tayyib) condition and in a condition that you would like to receive yourself.
We have put together a list of acceptable items, please take a look through it and let us know if you have any questions.
Book Drive: Acceptable Items
1- Preferred Publishers: Dar-us-Salam, al-Hidayah, Al-Basheer, IIPH, Ta-Ha, Al-Ibanah,
2- Book MUST be soft cover. The US Prison system will NOT accept hard back books.
3- Book MUST be in good condition if used.
4- Examples of books:
- Any Qur’ans, preferable pocket size (Arabic with translation, not Arabic only)
- Any books by Dr Bilal Philips, Shaykh Husayn Awaayisha, Yasir Qadhi, Muhammad al-Jibaly, Jamal Zarabozo.
- Translated works by scholars like: Shaykh ibn Baaz, Shaykh ibn Uthaymeen, shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd, Dr. Saleh as-Saleh
- 40 Hadeeth Nawawi (small book by Dar us Salaam)
- When the Moon Split (any other soft cover seerah books)
- Hisnul Muslim/Fortress of the Muslim – Please donate ones with transliteration
- books for teaching yourself Quranic Arabic (ex: Madinah arabic books, books by Dr. Mamdouh)
- Islamic history books
- Islamic studies textbooks/workbooks, such as the series by Bilal Philips
- Stories of the Prophets (in English)
- Don’t Be Sad
- An Introduction to the Quran by Mawdudi (avail from ICNA)
- These books by Muhammad Adly: Wudu and Salah; Last Juz of the Quran
- some heart-softeners, such as descriptions of paradise/hell, etc.
- Gems and Jewels
- Small tafseer works like Tafseer Suratul Hujurat by Bilal Philips
If you are interested in donating, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jazakum Allahu khayran!